Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I MOVED- WITH JOAQUIN CHAVEZ

 

 Joaquin moved to Tucson Arizona earlier this year,  A super down guy who writes some the sickest riffs of anyone I know.  freshly back from a US tour he took some time to answer a survey.  you can listen to his band Dead Hours here, and his other band Excruciation here




 Was music a part of your decision to leave? if so how much?
Not necessarily. I didn't move to some city with a huge music market so that my "talent" could be recognized. And I didn't move with the sole intention of starting a band. I mean, knew I was gonna start other bands, but I didn't move to for that reason.

Has your fan base Increased?
I have been asked to join 189723987329732 bands since before I even got here, so in a way, yes.

What do you miss most about Albuquerque?
My family. Fei's veggie nuggets.

How often do you visit?
I was gone for like a week before my band from back home decided to book a tour so I visited after about a month. I plan on going back for Christmas if not Thanksgiving.
 
Has your sound/style changed since moving?
I'm trying to pursue things that I have always wanted to rather than what I think I'm good at. It's tough, but I know I can do it. I just need to focus.

Since cost of living is relatively cheap in NM, as a musician was it hard making the transition?
Other than the fact that job market is shit right now, it's not so bad. I don't pay rent yet 'cause I don't have my own bedroom so it's not so bad right now and I don't drive so I don't spend money on anything other than utilities and burritos.

Do you have any songs about Albuquerque/NM?
I'm not a singer/songwriter. I only bring the hotness on the music tip, although if I ever decide to stop being so weird about writing lyrics, I might write a song about how much I love the North Valley, pre-gentrification, of course.

Describe your last show before leaving?
In a living room. Violent. One of my cables stopped working that night from what I remember.

Name a band you miss from Albuquerque?
Scared of Chaka.

Name a band you are now turned on to in your new city?
There are a lot of sweet bands from here actually. I knew about most of them before I moved out here, but there are a couple of sweet power pop bands from the 90's that I was turned on to.

Ever plan on Returning?
Absolutely. I love Albuquerque. I didn't move to "make it" or because I hated the city. I moved because I am an idiot and I think doing things like moving without telling anyone are funny. That, and I wanted to live with my soul mate Andy Puig.

No comments:

Post a Comment