Friday, August 28, 2009

THE SHOWS I KNOW- WITH SEAN McCULLOUGH





Tonights post comes from Sean McCullough, guitarist and pedal guru of the the Oktober People .   Sean gives the low down on what he thinks of the venues he plays.


How do you feel about house parties?


I love, love playing house parties.  The intimacy of playing in a living room with 30 people standing 2 feet away is so much fun.  It has been far too long since I have played a house show.  I want to play one right now.


Outdoor shows?


Also fun, probably mostly because it is different, makes you feel like you are a some huge band when you get to play outside.  Though my few outside show experiences have been to pretty small groups of people.


Theaters?


Theaters are weird because people are sitting.  People should not be sitting for rock bands, a least most of them shouldn't.


Bars?


I like to play at bars, especially now that you can't smoke in them.  I like to have a couple of beers when I play and hang out with friends that are having a good time.  Obnoxious drunk people that are not there to see you can be a real drag though.  I like to play in bars in states or cities where people of any age can come.  New Mexico is pretty dumb that way.


Battles of the bands?


Thinking of music as a competition is sooooo depressing to me.  Bands I have been in have taken part in battle of the bands (I was out-voted) and it was a pretty terrible experience.



Art spaces?


Art spaces can be fun.  If someone comes to an art space for a show you generally know they showed up for the show and not just cause they were bored and wanted to drink.  They are all ages as well which is great.


and fianlly Festivals?


Getting to play SXSW was one of the highlights of my music career and such a huge bonus that you get to see all the other bands for free.  Non stop awesome music for 4 days, can't beat that.


You can see The Oktober People live at the launchpad with As Tall as Lions on September 2nd



2 comments:

  1. Hey Billy, way to pick the goofiest picture of me... well actually there probably are goofier. The show with Tall as Lions is the 2nd, not the 22nd btw.

    ReplyDelete