Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I MOVED - WITH TERRY BURCH



Terry Burch was bassist for The Bellmont, Bellemah, Guitarist for Weapons of mass destruction.  Terry recently moved to Portland Oregon  in 2008.




Was music a part of your decision to leave? if so how much? 


I moved because my girlfriend got a job here.  I moved to Portland, though, so I'm not complaining about the lack of good live music or things to do these days.  However, I have to say the scene here is completely over saturated.  There's a hundred bands playing on any given night, yet I still rarely attend shows.  I think it's because I'm getting old.


 Has your fan base Increased?  


If you're counting the people I've worked with whom I've given a cd too, then yes.  Of course, getting high school teachers out to bar shows is not always so easy.
What do you miss most about Albuquerque?  I miss the camaraderie of some of the people I knew in the music scene.  Some really talented and cool people are on it and I wish I'd never left.  I also miss the sunshine. 
  
How often do you visit? 


Once or twice a year.


Has your sound/style changed since moving?


I'm writing and recording a lot more of my own ideas.  That's been really fun.  Not having a band at this time, I have to work a bit harder to make myself somewhat musically satisfied. All-in-all it's good to have to re-evaluate why and how you go about accomplishing things. 


Since cost of living is relatively cheap in NM, as a musician was it hard making the transition?


  I've had a pretty rough first year.  Things are more expensive and jobs are hard to come by.  This is a very competitive city, both professionally and musically.


Do you have any songs about Albuquerque/NM? 


Not specifically.  But I do have a special place in my heart for it.


 Describe your last show before leaving? 


Man do I miss playing live shows.  I don't necessarily miss playing out a lot, but I haven't done it in over a year.  I miss the rush.  Some would say I have an addictive personality. 


Name a band you miss from Albuquerque?  


bellmont, bellemah, the build, oktober people, rip torn


Name a band you are now turned on to in your new city?


Menomena.  They were on heavy rotation during the overcast, winter months.


 Ever plan on Returning?


It's been discussed.  Ideally, yes.  I miss my friends and I miss making what I consider to be good music.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to move back in a year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment