Thursday, August 27, 2009

I MOVED- WITH BRIAN OX



 Brian Ox (but will always be Brian Van Buren to me) moved to Seattle Washington in 2008.  Formally the riff man for many Albuquerque hardcore, metal and punk bands tells us the goings on in his new stomping grounds.   You can currently find him fronting his new band He whose ox is gored 





Brian was guitarist for The Bellmont, Westwood tigers, Excruciation and Van Buren  here in Albuquerque.



 Was music a part of your decision to leave? if so how much?


Definitely. I was losing my mind in Albuquerque. Music was all I wanted to do, but I couldn't seem to get people motivated. Between the show houses I was living in (Superhausen, La Casa), working two jobs, and being in multiple bands, it was starting to take a toll on me. I wanted to go somewhere that had a scene with history without being overcrowded, so I landed in Seattle.

Has your fan base Increased?

Lolz, I hope so. Originally, I jumped on to a couple different projects up here looking to get into a band that was already established, but I realized most bands still needed work. I started He Whose Ox is Gored with some friends last year. Joe from Himsa recorded a demo with us last Thanksgiving, but we didn't find a solid line-up to start playing out until March. Now, we're making plans to tour and put out an EP and a 7". 









What do you miss most about Albuquerque?

I miss the people and the house shows. After I left, someone told me about an article they found on how Albuquerque has one of the best art scenes for a city that size, and it's true. We really had a pretty cool DIY and youth supported scene. Also, Albuquerque has a fairly unique style and sound compared to most places. 

How often do you visit?

I've been back twice in almost a year and a half. Once on tour with another band, and once just to visit a couple people. I want to come back and see everyone again in the next couple months. Hopefully, bring the new band down as well.

Has your sound/style changed since moving?

A little bit. One thing I noticed about the northwest is that bands like Queensryche and Himsa sort of dominate scene, lending a very specific metal style to most bands. I've ended up getting into heavier crust and doom instead, but there is more of a metal feel here. 
  Also, in the past, I used to be in multiple projects at once, whereas now I've finally settled on one band. There were times when I was in five completely different bands in Albuquerque and none were doing anything. Here, you kind of have to do one thing really well to make a name for yourself.

Since cost of living is relatively cheap in NM, as a musician was it hard making the transition?

Honestly, no. I thought it was going to be way harder, but it wasn't. I sold or gave away almost everything that I owned and moved up here with a guitar and a bag of clothes. I had some of my gear shipped up here and that was that. The cost of living is proportionate to the wages, and there are always cheaper pockets of housing in most neighborhoods. The spot I live in is called Capitol Hill and it's sort of the hipster area, but there are ten or so solid venues within walking distance to my apartment, and rent is pretty reasonable. 

Do you have any songs about Albuquerque/NM?

Not yet, though I just had to take over main vocal duties for our band. Soon enough, I'm sure.

Describe your last show before leaving?

Lolz, this one nearly killed me. I had just finished tracking the final guitar parts for a 7" that Excruciation was doing, and we were playing the night before I had to leave. We played with our dudes in Ruiner and some other bands at the Stove and I had the worst food poisoning of my life. In the middle of the set, I ran out the front door and hurled all over the sidewalk. Later, I almost had to go to the hospital at my going-away party, but I woke up fine and got on the bus to Seattle.




Name a band you miss from Albuquerque?

All of them. The City is the Tower, 500, Ronoso, Adobe Homes, West 44, Dead Hours, the Scarlet Ruse, Oktober People, the Coma Recovery.


Name a band you are now turned on to in your new city?

There are a few amazing band up here. Brothers of the Sonic Cloth is my new favorite local band. Requin, Achilles, the Helm, the Pranks, Rising Tides, Gladiators Eat Fire, Anhedonist, Sleepy Eyes of Death, Sword of Judgment, Book of Black Earth, By Sunlight, Enemy Camp, the Spits, the Whore Moans, Same-Sex Dictator, and Black Breath are a couple of my favorites.




Ever plan on Returning?
Probably not. I'll definitely be back to see my friends and play through on the road, but I'm glad I found this place. Never say never, though.






No comments:

Post a Comment