Thursday, August 27, 2009

THE JIST - WITH LEVI 11

 Today's Jist interview comes from Levi 11 formally of Volume Volume who earlier this year started a new band called Violeta .  He runs his own Screen printing and design company called I heart machine.   You can check Violeta live locally at The Atomic Cantina  on Sept 25th




 if you weren't in a band what would you be doing with your time?

I already do it! My day job is drawing pictures, screenprinting, designing stuff, etc. I make money off all my hobbies (including the band, though not much); being in a band helps rather than getting in the way of things I'd do instead. My kid is in bed by the time I'm on a stage, so that rarely conflicts either.

do you use drink tickets? if so what do you drink?

Usually. I'm a smoker, so a bit of Grampa's cough syrup (whiskey) clears the pipes and loosens my throat up. My mouth also gets dry, I get thirsty and sweat a lot, so I like to have wet things around me. A shot before stage, a more hydrating drink on stage. Of course, when people buy drinks for me I'll drink more and it can get away from me sometimes... I get to the shows early, but try not to drink until just before the set.

is stage fright a problem?

No. I've made a fool of myself on enough occasions in the past that nothing that could go wrong now comes anywhere close to being intimidating. When you have thrown up on stage, lost your clothes, forgotten how to play, played in a punk band at a rave, been booed at/punched or had bottles thrown at you... what is left to be afraid of? I have built up a tolerance to failure. Honestly, I would not even call any of those my worst shows. Throw something at me and I can work with that: it gets me pumped up, makes me need to be quick on my feet and vital. The worst shows are the ones where you have no reason for stage fright: nobody shows up or the ones who do are low-energy. A spectacular failure is always more entertaining than a smooth and forgettable night. Fear is boring.
 
What's more important, practice or promotion?

Practice. Not for flashy technical skill (my reach always exceeds my grasp anyway) but to get a handle on who I play with: to get an ear for the band I'm in, polish it and be solid. I'm not about making some quantum leap into ability, because I don't often listen to music that is "impressive," but music that is catchy- I listen to generally simple music. But you need to practice to be consistent, anticipate, not over think. I rock at promotion; I am probably better at promotion than at playing! But it does not mean anything if they walk out during a set. I'd rather pull it off then trick them in. if you don't disappoint, then word of mouth brings crowds. Promotion has become harder here in town recently- fewer flyers or opportunities for guerrilla promotion, fewer places to get all the eyes what with so many social network sites. If you are good and reliable then you get good slots at good venues, and that does half the promo work already.

What are you currently listening to?

According to my ipod: Pretenders, Arab Strap, Matt and Kim, Silversun Pickups, ...Trail of Dead, Nitzer Ebb, Jace Everett. I have to admit to rarely listening to whole albums much anymore. A couple times through and I strip out what I like. My ipod is all mix-tapes and isolated tracks and swings widely through hundreds of bands. It's sacrilege to many, but I have owned over 10,000 releases over the years, and just don't see the reason to force myself to listen to songs out of obligation/tradition/"artistic visions" full of filler when I could hear anything I want to.

All ages or bar shows?

I'd like to do more all-ages, but don't very often. We get offered more bar shows and they fit our schedules better. That's just the way it generally works out- I do not have a strong preference or opinion honestly, so I'm kinda splitting hairs here, but: Drunk crowds can be more enthusiastic or at least more forgiving. And I generally know the staff and crowd better. Even if I have not played the bar before, there is a kind of typical way to work that sort of thing. A lot of people say that bar shows are about drinking and not about the bands, which is often true. But I think they are kidding themselves about the integrity of all-ages shows, which are as much about flirting and fashion and being seen. The music I write and play is more targeted to my peers anyway: people 25 to 35 who are losers. And they go to bars.

If you could add one instrument to your band what would it be?

I would not. Mostly because that would mean adding an instrument player. The chemistry of a band is delicate, the scheduling even more so. I often imagine piano/keyboards, strings, theremin, bells, etc. to infinity when I write, but in my experience more people means turning down/cancelling shows, having people not show to practice, having people not get along, having people feel left out, taking forever to write or record a song. Negative space is important in songs, and many musicians want to play all the time. No musician wants to be the triangle player, just standing there waiting for their one note every twenty measures. Give and take are really important, and each new thing requires sacrifice of something else and an exponential headache. Who gets to put in a word in an interview, who gets to stand where in a photo shoot, who's songs get played at each show... One example I think of is Oingo Boingo- they have albums and songs where you can tell they were writing unnecessary horn parts just to justify having a horn section. You can see the alienation in a band like Talking Heads, where "the band" ultimately becomes a backup band to a huge stage of people. Too many cooks can quickly lead to lack of focus, clutter, ego and politics. If it ain't broke...

any plans on touring anytime soon?

Always musings. Playing the same places over and over seems rote after a while, and it's a slipperly slope into losing momentum and no longer "bringing it." It's not like many here in town can rest on their laurels, be put out to pasture in a cushy headlining slot. But as to "plans," like the kind of thing we can put on a calendar in ink: nothing we have quite nailed down yet. We are pretty new, just over a dozen shows, and don't have an album or much to sell.

What about releasing a record?

I'd like to record at the soonest opportunity. Music is so ephemeral and transient- It's always gratifying to have something real you can put your hands on, that shows that the work all came to something. Something less fleeting than a show, that does work for you when you are not immediately playing. You get to wrap up all your ideas into a neat little package. Plus, I get to make an album cover.
 
You're headlining a major music festival. Name three things you would required in your rider.

I usually don't care about any of that shit even when things are offered. Pay me fairly, communicate, and don't look at me like I'm stuck to your shoe and I'm fine. But if I got three wishes they would be: convenient parking, a secure and quiet backstage area and being able to cut in line at the bar.

1 comment:

  1. this proves that you will interview ANYONE.

    ReplyDelete